Orienteering and beyond! The OEAP Outdoor Learning Cards
A very practical course leading to national accreditation through the Outdoor Education Advisers Panel (OEAP). The training and resources will help staff to develop outdoor learning opportunities, including OAA activities relevant to the PE National Curriculum. The Outdoor Learning Cards cover problem solving, orienteering, bouldering wall training and journeying.
One day course for
KS2 and KS3 Classroom teachers, PE Coordinators and Teaching Assistants.
Clare Dobbs, Outdoor Education Team
The OEAP Outdoor Learning Cards resources and training provide a progressive programme of OAA, linking to the National Curriculum and offering schools excellent opportunities to develop activity both within and beyond their schools grounds.
The PE National Curriculum states:
- KS2 Pupils should be taught to take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- KS3 Pupils should be taught to take part in outdoor and adventurous activities which present intellectual and physical challenges and be encouraged to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group.
For schools that need some inspirational support then the Outdoor Learning Cards programme and resources are a great starting point.
The course covers four areas:
- Orienteering – use the site for fun and physical activities, whilst developing good map reading skills
- Team Building and Problem Solving – present exciting challenges for individuals and teams
- Bouldering – use low level climbing/traversing walls and holds for physical and mental challenges
- Journeying – develop skills to undertake ventures around the site and begin to organise local visits
There are 50 resource cards, a Handbook and a CD that enables a school to quickly implement an OAA programme. Delegates will also receive materials with suggestions for the progressive development of OAA across the curriculum and at different Key Stages.
The Cards activities can be easily adapted to support the wider curriculum, especially maths, English, Geography and PSHE.
Cost of course: £150 (SLA) / £195 (external) - which includes the OEAP resources pack worth £75
Other Booking Information
Please note this is a practical outdoor course, therefore participants will need to wear clothing suitable for being active, including long trousers (not jeans), long sleeves, sturdy footwear (e.g. good trainers or walking boots) and waterproofs, just in case!