Attachment Theory and Intervention
Understand impact of attachment on child development; underlying needs in relation to insecure attachment & behaviour; approaches to improve positive attachment relationships between children & carers
Multi-session course for
Children Services Practitioners and Foster Carers who work face to face with children and young people.
Hampshire and Isle of Wight Educational Psychology
Please be aware that the courses above are related. You may find it useful to explore the other courses but do please be aware that some of the themes may cross over at times and therefore content may be covered more than once. That is because each of the courses need to stand as a single learning experience
- This is a pre-requisite course for any staff wishing to attend the Applying Attachment Theory with Assessments course.
- It is recommended that delegates have completed HCC CSD Introduction to Child Development course.
Participants will learn how to
- Gain an understanding of attachment theory and it’s basis for children’s development.
- Gain an understanding of brain development and the impact of neglect.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of secure attachments for children and young people and the consequences of poor attachment.
- Gain an understanding of specific approaches which are helpful within the understanding of an insecure attachment.
- Consider and reflect upon their understanding to promote improved and positive attachment relationships between children/young people and their parents/carers, within their current role and situation.
Course content and methodology
- Group discussions
- Case studies
- Group work
- Practical tools and resources
Intended impact on practice
- To provide delegates with an overview of Attachment Theories
- Exploring the links between Attachment Theory and Child Development.
- Factors that may influence Attachment
- Promoting Positive Attachment within Children and Young people
- During the course there will be signposting to resources to support ongoing development
Other Booking Information
HCC Children's Services Department - Free
Foster Carers - Free
Other agencies, including schools - £200
All charged bookings are subject to a late cancellation fee. Please exercise responsible booking practice and see our Cancellation Policy for full details. Notification of any changes to bookings must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org