OUTDOOR LEADER - Risk management in the outdoors
This course focuses on the key skills and leadership required to manage an off-site visit or activity safely. Group management, risk assessment and risk management feature strongly.
One day course for
People who work with groups of children and young people. This course is specifically aimed at teachers, classroom assistants & rangers.
Outdoor Education Team
Course content and methodology
- Review current good practice, the benefits of outdoor learning and regulations and guidance.
- Raise awareness of and confidence in risk assessment and risk management in outdoor contexts.
- Group management and leadership skills and strategies.
- The leader's kit and responsibilities.
- Basic way-finding and orientation outdoors.
- A walk in a suitable outdoor environment to use and apply these skills, techniques and strategies.
- The award is valid for 5 years and then must be retaken.
- More challenging courses are available in outdoor leadership i.e Hill & Moorland Leader training, Bronze DofE Trainer.
Participants should bring
Clothing suitable for the outdoors (whatever the weather) and walking boots (or trainers) for uneven terrain. Suitable footwear for a 'country walk' is essential. You will also need to bring a packed lunch, although water and hot drinks are available.
Other Booking Information
- Subscribers price is for any educational establishment who holds a current SLA with the Outdoor Education, PE & DofE Service or an SLA with Portsmouth, Southampton or West Berkshire.
- Please add your purchase order number to the specific requirements field when making your booking, as appropriate. Internal Trading Documents will be used for the financial transaction, where possible.
- The cancellation of courses agreement is on our website: www.hants.gov.uk/oe-training