Making Headway (East)
This course aims to recognise and develop the potential of teachers who have clear aspirations to become deputy/assistant headteachers (must be recommended by their headteacher).
Multi-session course for
Senior teachers aspiring to deputy headship.
HIAS Inspector/Adviser - and an experienced headteacher.
- It is anticipated that the delegates will have the potential to become a deputy/assistant headteacher.
- Delegates must be recommended by their headteacher.
- Delegates will be expected to complete homework tasks and course reading.
Knowledge and understanding
- Develop a clear understanding of the challenges and rewards of the role of deputy/assistant headteacher.
- Explore values and educational philosophy, develop confidence in their ability and gain understanding of their professional strengths.
- Develop an understanding of leadership founded on core values.
Participants will learn how to
- Become an effective deputy/assistant headteacher.
- Choose the most appropriate school and prepare for the interview process.
- Be a more reflective practitioner.
- Evaluate and develop their leadership skills.
Course content and methodology
- Participants are expected to be active learners.
- Emphasis is placed on reflection, research and review.
- Discussion and exploration of thinking are at the core of each session.
- Delegates will visit a range of successful schools and talk informally with existing headteachers.
- There will be opportunity to network with peers.
Intended impact on practice
- This course will develop delegates' skills and attributes in a variety of leadership and management arenas.
- Delegates will be encouraged to discuss their learning with other staff members and the senior management of the school and implement learning back at school.
“I have found the Making Headway course the best professional development I have ever done".
“I have a greater understanding of the role of DHT and what skills I would need. I have also developed a greater idea of leadership and management, whilst looking at my role in the classroom. I now feel more confident to apply for a post”.
"I have loved visiting the various schools and realising the opportunities that are available. Having information and encouragement from the various professionals that we have met has been fantastic and inspiring. I now know what I want from my career - a huge transformation from 6 months ago! Thank you."
"The practice application process and interview were excellent preparation for the real thing".
"Thanks to Making Headway I am now a Deputy Head".
Other Booking Information
The course consists of eight sessions in total, three centre-based days and five school-based afternoons.
The course is suitable for applicants from all key stages as delegates work cross-phase and visit a variety of different schools to maximise their learning opportunities.
quoted are for Hampshire maintained schools only. Price for all other types of
school is £630