Philosophy for Children - SAPERE Level 2A (PHIL0017-17AA)
The RE Centre, Winchester
A two-day course developing theory and practice in Philosophy for Children which will examine the nature, purpose and methods of philosophical enquiry and explain how P4C can have a positive impact on the school’s standards and values.
Multi-session course for
Teachers who already have Level 1 SAPERE Philosophy for Children accreditation and who are interested in taking a lead on developing the curriculum through enquiry-based learning.
Patricia Hannam - County Inspector/Adviser RE, History & Philosophy
- Level 1 SAPERE accreditation.
Knowledge and understanding
- Experience of facilitating classroom communities of philosophical enquiry.
Participants will learn
- How to choose and create materials to stimulate deeper philosophical thinking and dialogue and how to plan for progress in P4C across a key stage or whole school curriculum.
- Ways of extending practices for better philosophical thinking and facilitation through exploring reflective techniques to identify how to improve P4C practice.
- More about the theory and practice of critical, creative, caring and collaborative thinking and explore some of the social, political and ethical dimensions of P4C.
Course content and methodology
- Group and individual tasks.
- Models of philosophical enquiries.
- Participants prepare to facilitate elements of an enquiry with their peers.
Intended impact on practice
- Participants will develop their understanding of the theory and practice of enquiry-based learning.
- Participants will be prepared to deliver twilight INSET sessions in P4C.
- Participants on this course will receive Level 2A SAPERE accreditation.
- There is the possibility to progress to Level 2B and Level 3.
- Possibility of becoming lead practitioner in P4C and developing enquiry-based learning in the curriculum.
Participants should bring
- Examples of previous philosophical enquiries.
Other Booking Information