Using Philosophy for Children in Religious Education (SAPERE Level 1) (PHIL0019-18AA)
A course for teachers of RE in primary and secondary schools who want to develop the skills of philosophical enquiry in RE.
Multi-session course for
Primary and secondary teachers of RE.
Patricia Hannam - County Inspector/Adviser RE, History & Philosophy
- Preferred experience of planning with the Hampshire, Portsmouth, Southampton and Isle of Wight agreed syllabus Living Difference III and as used in the London Boroughs of Westminster, Camden and Fulham and Hammersmith.
Knowledge and understanding
- An introduction to theory and practice for Philosophy for Children (P4C).
- Reflecting on how P4C can deepen enquiry in RE.
Participants will learn how to
- Establish communities of philosophical enquiry, especially in RE
- Integrate high level classroom talk in RE
- Raise aspiration and attainment in RE
Course content and methodology
- Group and individual tasks.
- Models of philosophical enquiries.
Intended impact on practice
- Improved questioning and enquiry skills and raising attainment and aspiration in RE.
- Increasing children and young people's ownership and responsibility in classroom enquiry.
- Improved planning with 'Living Difference III'.
- Participants on this course will receive Level 1 SAPERE accreditation.
- There is the possibility of progressing to Level 2 and 3 SAPERE accreditation.
Participants should bring
- An example of planning of a cycle with 'Living Difference III' to the second day .
Other Booking Information
Course cost includes SAPERE registration and handbook.